The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good - travel :)
The Bad - Finding out you have Melanoma
The Ugly - the mole that was on my back :)  ok or maybe the scar that has replaced it - maybe I need a tattoo to cover it up!

So for those that aren't familiar with Melanoma (or think - hey it's just skin cancer no big deal) it is/can be a pretty big deal.  Over the last several months I have learned terms I never want to know... 

As part of a quick education - here is the low down on my tumor.   It was a T4b N1 M0.  This means:

  • T4b - due to a tumor of 4.5mm and b is for ulceration
  • N1 - 1 lymph node involved
  • M0 - no disese in organs
That put me at stage 3b.  My type is also nodular

Four Types of Melanoma
  1. Superficial spreading melanoma (about 70% of diagnosed cases)
  2. Nodular melanoma (about 15% of diagnosed cases)
  3. Lentigo maligna melanoma (about 10% of diagnosed cases)
  4. Acral lentiginous melanoma (about 5% of diagnosed cases)
Ok now back to the good - time to head out to dinner and drinks!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. We love you Erin! I am glad you are sharing your story. We will beat this thing. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the info, I don't know a thing about skin cancer so this already answers some questions for me. I'm so proud of you for being so brave & for turning a nightmare into a positive experience by sharing this with others, we'll all be checking on moles! Take care , Love Aunt Geri

    ReplyDelete