1 year - Cancerversary...

Friday marks my 1 year anniversary of finding out the news about Melanoma.  To celebrate I'm taking a long weekend and meeting some friends in Seattle to do some hiking and site seeing around Mt Rainier and other areas (don't worry - I'll post pictures when I get back!).  Hopefully there won't be any issues with travel since we all know what kind of luck I have with that this summer :) haha!

Below is a summary of my year.  I'm set for new scans in a few weeks.  Protect the skin you're in!  and if you think something is suspicious please get it checked out.

I am very thankful to have such great family and friends to help me thru this.  and thru this I've met a great group of fellow warriors and supporters! Thanks for all of your help, support, and guideance thru this journey!


Oct 6th 2010 I went to a dermatologist to have a mole removed. I remember the nurse saying 'oh that's an angry mole' but being reassured several times that in 2 weeks I'd get a letter in the mail saying it was nothing.

Oct 14th, 2010 I was called in to the dermatologists office that set off a whirlwind of activity. But here I am a year later - so take that statistics :) While things have settled down on that front - I will continue 3 month check ups and the occasional paranoia that comes with this sort of thing.

Summarize my year:
- I moved 554 miles from Greensboro, NC to Jersey City, NJ
- Started a new job
- 3 major surgeries
- WLE which removed a sizeable chunk of my back and 4 lymph nodes under my right arm

- Full lymph node removal under my right arm after the sentinel lymph node came back positive

- Video Assisted Thorascapy - which removed 2 wedges of my left lung

- Countless blood draws
- Around 20 doctor visits
- 1 CT/PET scan, 4 CT scans, 2 Brain MRI's, 2 EKG's, a strange Breathing test, and several Chest X-Rays




You can't connect the dots looking forward you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something: your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well worn path.





Steve Jobs
Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm glad you're spending the weekend with friends!!! Have fun with Mike! So glad you have SUCH a positive attitude!!!!

    ReplyDelete