Zelboraf - Day one :)

Well, Zelboraf has arrived.  It gets shipped from a specialty pharmacy in Michigan.

Some side effects of taking Z:

Zelboraf has some serious side effects. Some 26% of patients in clinical trials developed a nonmelanoma form of skin cancer called cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma, which can usually be removed via relatively simple surgery.
Other side effects include joint pain, rash, hair lossfatiguenausea, and skin sensitivity to sunlight. Patients taking Zelboraf must avoid sun exposure.

These are all pretty mild compared to some of the other alternatives!  So far so good :)  

I was also back at work today for the first time in a week.  Was good to get out and feel somewhat 'normal' :)  

Also - I know in my last post I commented about my questions about 'what if it's not Melanoma'.  I did have a long talk with my medical oncologist today.  I think sometimes I drive him nuts :) but he's patient and very quick to respond so I appreciate that.  The spot would be 'technically challenging' and painful to biopsy.  If it's Melanoma (which he's almost certain it is), Zelboraf should give a pretty quick response.  
I did yesterday reach out to my UNC team to get their opinion as well.  Somehow I almost feel like I'm cheating on my Sloan doctor :)  lol!   But one thing I've found thru this journey is that it doesn't hurt to get 2nd opinions.  They gave me some good questions to ask my doctors here and basically agreed that if we are pretty sure it's Melanoma - start the Zelboraf.  
Stay tuned!  
Cheers,
Erin

One months supply

4 pills - 2x's per day

Also - while I was reading up on my Zelboraf - I did receive the following email below.  Folks in NJ are trying to ban tanning beds for anyone under the age of 18.  Thank you Crazy Tanning Mom!  One thing she has done is brought to light the dangers of over-exposure!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm so glad you had the chance to talk to Dr. D. again. I don't think you drive him crazy at all! I will keep on believing we are some of his favorite patients. ;-)

    Good luck with the beginning of this journey. I know it isn't one you hoped to take, but as usual, you are embracing it with that FANTASTIC attitude of yours! Can't wait to see you in July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady!! :) Excited to see you in July!

      Delete