Getting Juicy!

After being diagnosed with cancer, many of us start thinking about what we can do to be more healthy in our lives.  One thing a lot of folks start doing is juicing!  I was one of those people.  I actually was surprised at how much I really liked it.  Who knew carrots could be so tasty juiced?  




My first juicer was a Breville.  A very good brand - but not a very expensive one.  I didn't want to spend the $ on one if I wasn't going to enjoy juicing.  After a year + of using my current one, I realize that it might be time for an upgrade.  There are 2 main types of juicers - centrifugal and the masticating type.  Mine is a centrifugal type.  I'll put some notes below on the advantages / disadvantages of these 2 types.  

Centrifugal Juicers:    

     - Advantages: Most popular and typically most affordable.  Can juice just about any fruit or vegetable.  Have large feeding chutes (allow whole foods to be juiced).  They work very quickly.


     - Disadvantages:  Difficult time juicing grassed or leafy foods.  Due to speed, juice gets aerated.  These bubbles in the juice cause it to oxidize (spoil) quickly.  


Masticating Juicers:


     - Advantages: Use a single gear/auger resulting in more fiber, enzymes, vitamins, etc.  Typically more efficient than centrifugal.  Can juice basically any fruit, vegetable, leafy greens, etc.  Due to slower speed - less foam and heat.  


     - Disadvantages: cost


You Might Also Like

0 comments