Modesty - Sch-modesty...

I think one thing you learn while going thru something like skin cancer is modesty gets checked at the door.  These days I'm just happy when I get a gown that has ties that actually are there!  When I had my little stay in May it took the 4th gown before I had one with ties on it.  Let me tell you - it's not easy walking around trying to hold your gown closed while wheelin' your IV pole with ya.

Kind of like this guy:


Yesterday I had another skin check-up with Dr L.  I made him earn his keep, that's for sure!  I had 4 spots removed.  If you look up side effects of Zelboraf you'll find that it can cause other types of skin growths (see below).  That is why I'm checked so often.  Dr L and I have the same approach - when in doubt - cut it out!  There were 2 small spots above each of my knees.  We checked them last month when I was in and photos were taken.  This time it was decided to just be safe and cut them out.


What is the most important information I should know about ZELBORAF?
ZELBORAF may cause a type of skin cancer called cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (cuSCC). CuSCC usually does not spread to other parts of the body. Check your skin and tell your doctor right away about any skin changes, including a new wart, a sore or bump that bleeds or does not heal, or a mole that changes size or color.
A doctor should check your skin before you start taking ZELBORAF and every 2 months while you are taking ZELBORAF to look for any new skin cancers. Your doctor may continue to check your skin for 6 months after you stop taking ZELBORAF.

The other spots that were removed were ones I requested.  One behind my ear (which was nothing - I don't remember what he called it) and then a skin tag that was getting more and more irritated lately.  It's in an awkward spot but it needed to be removed.   I told my derm that 98% of the time I don't even realize it's there.  His response was 'well for the 2% that you do, we'll remove it so you don't worry about it'.

So we'll get the results in 5-10 days.  I'm not too concerned about them.  Just a little sore ;)  My skin does not like the medical tape!

Stay Tuned!
Erin

You Might Also Like

0 comments