Swift

Mole Checks

As I head in to see my dermatologist again today (Right now I see him about once a month due to the skin reactions that I get from taking Zelboraf) - I thought this was a good opportunity to remind everyone about checking their skin.

Remember the ABCDE's
A = Asymmetry: one half of the abnormal area is different than the other half
B = Boarders: The edges of the growth are irregular
C = Color: Color changes from one area to another, with shades of tan, brown, or black.  Sometimes white, red, or blue.  A mixture of colors may appear within one sore.
D = Diameter: The spot is usually (but not always) larger than 6mm in diameter - about the size of a pencil eraser
E = Evolution: the mole keeps changing in appearance.

I would add itching.  If you look at the chart below, my original mole looked similar to the one under normal mole for Asymmetry.  I had a spot on my back that was round, slightly raised and pink.  The only symptom I had was that it itched.  My regular  doctor said it was nothing and not to worry.  I've talked about this before but mine started to grow out of control while on vacation.  Even the dermatologist who removed it said it was nothing.  And as we all know it was something!

So check your spots!  Document them.  If there is any change see your dermatologist.  If they say it's nothing - cut it out.  I didn't realize how easy and quick it was for them to remove the mole.  The peace of mind is much better than finding out later it was something.

Protect the skin you're in!






You Might Also Like

0 comments