The Patient Patient...

Yep that's me.  The same word but 2 very different meanings!

1.  Noun: a person who is under medical care or treatment
2. Adjective: bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc,. with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like

As I wrote in one of my previous posts (I think the one about Pathology reports) - I had 4 spots removed on Aug 13th.  2 came back as atypical and 'given my history' it was suggested I have a larger region removed from around them.  They preform what is called a wide local excision (WLE).   It's a surgical procedure to remove a small area of disease (or potential problematic tissue) with a margin or normal tissue.

Today they preformed this on my right leg.  My appointment was at 9:30 am.  I got called back to the procedure room around 10am and changed in to my gown so my legs were exposed.  I met with the nurse (she was awesome!) who took my history.  I then sat until about 12:30 before they came in to perform the procedure.  Dr N was very nice.  She walked in to the room and apologized for the delay stating if I never wanted to talk to her again she totally understood.  My response was 'it's ok - I was told to bring along something to do while I waited'.

I've learned thru this that nothing ever goes as planned.  And honestly, there is no reason to get upset about waiting.  Except that it was a little chilly in the room (and the chairs aren't that comfortable) and I was TOTALLY hungry!  But luckily I've learned to be prepared.  I brought work along with me as well as snacks and a water bottle.

The procedure was pretty quick.  Dr N cut out the tissue and her fellow Dr R did the stiches.  Although I wasn't given quite enough numbing medicine - so they had to keep shooting more!  Since I could feel some of the stitches going in - OUCH!

I know I've said this before but I always love the staff at Sloan.  I appreciated that Dr R called this evening to make sure I was still ok.  Just a little sore - so far so good.

I'll be back in 2 weeks to have the stitches removed and they will do the other 'spot'.  It was a long day. I think I got back to my apartment around 3/4pm.

Don't forget to get your spots checked!  
Now time to ice my leg some.  It's a little painful but not bad.
Cheers!
Erin

Procedure Room -
where I spent lots of quality time today

All armed and ready to go!

On your Mark - set and go!
Today would only be the right leg

And of course I always try to take some pictures of the city when I head in.  The morning we had lots of rain but it had stopped by the time I headed in to the city.  You can see the WTC progress and the Empire State building on the left hand side.


Sun is out and clear skies!  WTC progress 8.28.12

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. IDK why they are always running late in dermatology....Hope your results come back A-OK! XO!

    ReplyDelete