What it takes to be an Olympian...

I have been thinking about this topic since coming back from the Olympics.  Especially after I saw someone mention it on one of the Melanoma boards I follow.  In our own little way we are like athletes training for a big event.  But our gold medal the to get the 3 little letters - NED (no evidence of disease).

I was doing the typical google search and came across this article: 10 Steps to Become an Olympic Athlete from fabjob.com.  I know it's a bit of a cheesy comparison - but I added my comments on what It takes for the following steps:

1.  Assess your physical condition - well for us this is done in several different ways: blood draws, scans, biopsies, etc.

2.  Choose a Sport: I think in this case the sport has chosen us.

3.  Find a place to train: Where is the best facility for us?  For me that right now is Sloan Kettering.  Although I was well taken care of at UNC-Chapel Hill.

4.  Find a coach:  This goes hand in hand with the place to train.  And besides just a coach you need a whole team to back you!

5.  Join a national governing body: I look at this as a support network.  My fellow Bad A$$ Melanoma Warriors.

6.  Visualize your success: I do believe a positive attitude and an eye on the end prize goes a long ways.

7.  Start competing: Bring on the treatment and dominate!  It might be surgery, drugs, etc.  For me it's been 3 surgeries and I'm on my 2nd round of Zelboraf!

8.  Find financing:  hello - insurance!

9.  Attend national championships: Shrinkage on the way to clear scans!

10. Qualify for the olympics: NED

Ok you get the point...  there are lots of analogies that can be made.  Our training is different but the fight and determination to win is similar!  

Cheers,
Erin


You Might Also Like

1 comments