Anemia

Many know that in May when I had my 3 month scans I was severely anemic (hemoglobin was at 5.6 - normal range for a woman is around 11.5-14? or something like that).  They feel the cause of it was due to the tumor in my intestine.  I was given 3 units of blood to help raise the level.

Since May I've been taking iron supplements.  I've also done some research on what are other ways to help aid in increasing iron in the system.  Sorry that this is a bit of a long post - but I thought I'd share some of the info I've found all in one place.

Some symptoms of Anemia are:

Source
There are also several types of Anemia:

Per Webmd there are more than 400 types of anemia, which are divided into three groups:
  • Anemia caused by blood loss
  • Anemia caused by decreased or faulty red blood cell production
  • Anemia caused by destruction of red blood cells

Mine would fall in to the category of blood loss.   So what do you do to bring the level back up?  First you stop the bleeding (that is why the drug treatments and surgery).  And now I continue with trying to build back up my iron level/stores.

Sharing some recipes and information I've found:

1.  The Complete Book of Juicing (Michael T Murray, N.D.)
     - Iron Plus:
          - 1 beet with top
          - 2 kale leaves
          - 1/2 cup broccoli florets with stems
          - 4 carrots
          - 1 apple, cut into wedges

     - Everything but the Kitchen Skin:
          - handful of spinach
          - 1 celery rib
          - 3 carrots
          - 2 radishes
          - 1 apple, cut into wedges
          - 1/2 cucumber
          - 1 tomato, quartered
          - 1/2 cup broccoli florets with stems
          - 1/2 green bell pepper

     - Green Drink:
          - handful of parsley or wheatgrass
          - 2 granny smith apples, cut into wedges
          - 2 kale leaves
          - handful of spinach

2. Fitlife.TV

If you are looking for some other great juicing recipes you can find them on Fitlife.TV.  They recently shared this image on their facebook page.  Now, right now with the intestine surgery I have to watch my fresh fruit/vegetable intake - but it shares some good info:


3. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen (Rebecca Katz with Mat Edelson

The first chapter of the book talks about cancer fighting tool kit.  Some recipes for managing side effects include the following (send me a note if you'd like a recipe - haven't tried them yet but looking at getting started!

     - Soups: Minestrone, Pasture Beef Bone Broth, Velvety Red Lentil Dahl
     - Vegetables: Kale with carrots, Kale with sweet potatoes and pecans
     - Anytime foods: Mediterranean Lentil Salad

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi Erin, HOpe you're feeling even more well since your last post, and concerning your iron levels have you been tested again since May? I'm hoping your levels are up lessening some of the symptoms.
    Have a lovely evening over there and take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose - thanks for the note! Why yes, my hemoglobin has been increasing since May. Takes awhile to build it back up! But slowly working on it! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete