Melanoma Monday - May 6th



It's a good time to remind folks that May is Skin Cancer awareness Month.  Also, 'Melanoma Monday' is May 6th.  Who do you wear black for?  (by the way... black is an awful color!  but one reason it's picked for Melanoma is that they are often black tumors...).

There seems to be a bit of controversy around Melanoma Monday that has several folks in the Melanoma community in an uproar!  The ribbon color for Melanoma has always been black... and as far as skin cancers go - we all know Melanoma is the deadliest.


The American Academy of Dermatology has started a campaign to wear Orange to Spot Skin Cancer!  The issue that folks have is that they are saying wear orange instead of black.  I guess the way I feel about it is that awareness is awareness, right?

A few facts they post on their website:

The American Academy of Dermatology is coordinating this national effort to raise awareness of skin cancer.
  • Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States.
  • Current estimates are that one in five Americans will be diagnosed with skin cancer in their lifetime.
  • Melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, is the most common cancer for 25- to 29-year-olds.

So what is my plan for tomorrow?  Well, I have my 6th anti-pd1 treatment at Sloan.  I think I'll plan on wearing my black Melanoma Shirt (you can see it posted at the beginning of the post - given to me by my sister after I was clear after my lung tumors).  Maybe I'll add an orange scarf for good measure!  :)

Who do you wear black for?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Love love love your shirt!! I agree with you on the black vs. orange - it's confusing, but awareness is good! Maybe next year everyone will get together beforehand and decide on one color :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all made for a great awareness post none-the-less, thinking of you having the 6th treatment, and -chuckle- what a diplomat you are striking such a clever compromise - your black shirt and an orange scarfe! :)

    ReplyDelete