NYC for the first time

I am always in amazement of this great city I live by!  I love being near NYC and taking in all the sites. Last weekend my good friend Mike came for a visit along with his cousin Eric.  This would be Eric's first time to the Big Apple.  I love seeing how people react to the city.  I feel like people either love it or hate it.  And I think the general thought was that he loved it!

NYC can be a lot to take in - a bit of an overload!  And there is no way to see it all in one weekend.  Here are some interesting facts I pulled on NYC area (don't hate me if they aren't 100% right!):

1. More than 26,000 people live in each square mile
2. The first name for Manhattan was New Amsterdam
3. New York City was the U.S. capital from 1789 to 1790  
4. More than 47 percent of New York City's residents over the age of 5 speak a language other than English at home

5. New Yorkers travel an average of 40 minutes to work each day.
6. New York's Yellow Cabs are yellow because John Hertz, the company's founder, learned from a study that yellow was the easiest color for the eye to spot. He was right
7. Speaking of cabs - there are over 13,000 yellow cabs and additional 40,000+ other for hire vehicles.
8. More than 250 feature films are shot on location in New York City each year
9. An average of 4.9 million people ride the New York City subway each weekday
10.  More info on the subway lines: Miles of Track: Approximately 660 in passenger service. Counting track used for non-revenue purposes (e.g., in subway yards), the number is more than 840 mile
11. As of the 2000 Census, 8,008,278 people live in New York City
12. Located on one of the world's largest natural harbors,[15] New York City consists of five boroughs, each of which is a county of New York State.[16] The five boroughs—The BronxBrooklynManhattanQueens, and Staten Island—were consolidated into a single city in 1898
13. With a census-estimated 2012 population of 8,336,697[5] distributed over a land area of just 302.64 square miles (783.8 km2),[5] New York is the most densely populated major city in the United States.
14. As many as 800 languages are spoken in New York, making it the most linguistically diverse city in the world.
15. More than 40 professional theaters in and near broadway

Never get tired of the architecture in the city.  New buildings, old buildings, there is always something cool to see!





30 Rock!


Such a great day for a stop at The Boat House for a drink!




















Reflections in statutes while at Battery Park









Finally make it to the Brooklyn Brewery







Chinese food and sitting outside!  Why is this the first time I took advantage of the tables behind my apartment building?  Don't laugh at my zoo pal paper plates!  I know you're jealous!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi Erin,
    Good to see all is well with you! I have just caught up with all of your latest posts and news.
    Great facts and figures on NYC, and I always enjoy yur pics!
    Stay smiling, thinking of you often
    Rose

    ReplyDelete