Remembering Dr Amos

Three years ago today I had my first appointment with a surgical oncologist.  I remember the day like it was yesterday.  Wasn't sure what to expect... Scared of what was going to happen next.  My good friend Stephanie came with me.  In walked Dr Amos and immediately put my nerves at ease.  He was easy to talk to and willing to help in any way.  He described the sizable 'defect' that would be left on my back from my wide local incision.  Promised my friend when he saw her in the hallway that he would take good care of me.  

I explained my situation of changing jobs and moving and he cleared his schedule to get my surgery in the next week.  I couldn't have asked for a better doctor to start this horrible journey with.  Even after moving he would check in on me and while I have a fabulous team here at Sloan, I would still reach out to him for advice.  

Today I was sad to learn that he passed away suddenly this summer.   I guess it just comes as a reminder that we never know what tomorrow brings.  And that it's important to enjoy life!

http://keithamosremembered.web.unc.edu

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. How sad! what a selfless man, still much to give but obviously needed elsewhere for bigger things.
    Still, very sad Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that's too bad. It sounds like he was a great doctor and person. Sometimes that makes all the difference when you're a new patient going through stressful times.

    ReplyDelete