The New Normal

On Thursday I had round 22 of Merck's Anti-PD1 Immunotherapy drug.  This has been a long road so far, but with great results.  What some may refer to as the 'new normal'.  As mentioned before, the appointments are pretty routine.  I show up... I wait, I get blood work, I wait... I see the doctor, I wait...  you get the point!  :)  but in the end, it's all worth it for a life saving drug, right?

Some have asked me before how I get the medicine.  Sorry for the picture, but it shows where they put in an IV.  Typically I get it in and they use it to draw blood.  Then I have it in for the day while  wait for treatment.  It's a little uncomfortable having to have that in my arm all day, but totally appreciate having to only be stuck once!  Especially since last time they drew blood from my hand I was bruised for a week+


While I was in I got another update for the clinical trial.  This is the 2nd time I've had to resign the paperwork.  The updates this time included things like:

Follow-up: survival follow up changed from every 60 days up to 24 months to every 60 days for life. The only way I can take that is that folks are surviving much longer than 24 months after stopping this drug, and they want to keep tabs on how folks are handling it.  

A few of the other changes were around side effects.   One added to less likely was:

Increased release of thyroid hormone which may manifest as anxiety, irritability, or trouble sleeping, weakness, trembling, sweating, feeling uncomfortable in warm weather, fast or uneven heartbeats, feeling tired, weight loss, and frequent or excessive bowel movements.  

I feel like I get these things all the time...  so if someone seems me anxious and irritable, you know why!  lol.  I mean, it could just be from dealing with something like a cancer diagnosis, right?  haha.  Sometimes it's are to know if you have side effects or just from living life.  

Speaking of living life, the weather is finally starting to get a little nicer which means we can take some longer walks.  It also means avoiding the geese around the area.   Which Winnie loves to chase, but Dublin likes the 'treats' the leave behind...  Below is a picture I took the other morning while out walking the pups.  


I hope that everyone had a fabulous weekend!  
Erin

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thank you for the update dear Erin, so good to know all is going well. Good to hear the puppies are doing fine as well. So pleased the weather is warming up for you too, makes life a little cheerier I imagine!
    Take good care!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete