The Fault in our Stars

I have this problem with reading, when I start a book I must finish the book...  like I'll give up sleep to finish the book.  This is my reason for not reading much!

But, I saw that iTunes had The Fault in our Stars (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582846/) for a reduced price, so I thought why not?  Of course I started the book on a Friday morning and finished it Saturday after meeting some family in the city.  It's an easy read.  Can't say how close the movie is to the book, but if you're going to see it bring some tissues.


I realize that it's a book targeted towards young adults (maybe why it's such an easy read).  It's a story by John Green (http://johngreenbooks.com/) about two teenagers with cancer that meet at support group.   I guess the part I could relate to is the bond that you sometimes build between your fellow cancer warriors.  

Although, with that said, it's things like this I should not read right when I'm getting ready to head in for updated scans again!   

While reading the book I felt there were a  few lines I that I think most 'cancer' folks can relate to (if you are waiting to read the book or see the movie ... you might want to stop reading!  haha.  You've been warned!). Sorry this is a bit of a long post!

- 'cancertastic past' - this is in reference to Patrick feh support group leader as he talks about beating his cancer.   

- 'Cancer Perk - Cancer perks are the little things cancer kids get that regular kids don't: basketballs signed by sports heroes, free passes on late homework, unearned driver's licenses, etc.'.  Never really thought about getting 'perks' but I suppose it's one way to spin a positive light on a bad situation.  

- '... got in to one of those experimental trials that are famous in the Republic of Cancervania'.   Like Ms Hazel Grace, I am also in an experimental trial.   That odd land where we have a special club of folks.   You don't necessarily want to have to join, but you're glad they take you!

- '... thinking that I would give up all the sick days I had left for a few healthy ones.  I tried to tell myself that it could be worse, that the world was not a wish-granting factory, that I was living with cancer not drying of it...'  I thought it was an important message - about living in the moment and living life as much as you can?

- 'I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.  I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable...'  I think when dealing with a cancer diagnosis you realize how important it is to express how you feel.... Life is short.

- 'Okay, okay' - this is said over and over between Gus and Hazel

- 'Some infinities are bigger than other infinities' 

- 'I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up' - when first diagnosed I used to talk about the roller coaster ride we are on!   

- 'That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt' - this is so true!   I've been fortunate not to have extreme pain (ok the tumor in my small intestine started to hurt like a son of a gun 

- 'Gus, like most cancer survivors, lived with uncertainty.'  Ain't this the truth?see back to beginning where we discussed going in for scans tomorrow.  I live my life in 3 month increments...

- 'According to Maslow, I was stuck on the second level of the pyramid, unable to feel secure in my health and therefore unable to reach for love and respect and art and whatever else, which of course, utter horseshit'. 

- 'Some war' he said dismissively.  'What am I at war with?  My cancer.  And my what is my cancer? My cancer is me.  The tumors are made of me.  They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me.  It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.'

- 'Would it be absolutely ludicrous to try to make out?' "There is no try," I said, "There is only do."

- "Without pain, we couldn't know joy'

Please ignore any spelling errors and formatting.  My laptop didn't want to cooperate tonight so I finished this update on my iPad. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments