Big News Today: Merck Receives FDA Approval for Keytruda (Pembrolizumab)

So - first things first, I had my appointment at Sloan today.  Some know that on Tuesday I had my 3 month scans.  Results are in - no substantial change or evidence of recurrent metastatic disease!!!  I started Merck's Anti-PD1 aka MK-3475 aka PEmbrolizumab and now Keytruda in Jan 2013.  Today was round 29!  I have had very few side effects, and in almost 2 years nothing growing and nothing new!  In the world of Melanoma, that is a pretty big deal!


While at my appointment today, my doctor and I had a long conversation around when we thought approval might happen (you will remember last week sharing stories about how rumors were saying it may go earlier than Oct 28th).  We were also trying to figure out what does that mean for patients like me on trials?  Perhaps my time as a guinea pig is coming to an end?  Either way, it was well worth it to help move things ahead for the treatment of Melanoma!

Below a few articles on the approval and the drug!  Looks like this will be another spendy one! But I suppose we can't really put a price on life, right?

Hope everyone is well!  Remember - get your skin checks done!  Melanoma is very easy to treat when caught early!

Cheers,
Erin

A few articles:

Merck Receives Accelerated Approval of KEYTRUDA® (pembrolizumab), the First FDA-Approved Anti-PD-1 Therapy


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. A very big deal indeed Erin, and wonderful news to read on your blog! Way to go! I just couldn't be more pleased for you.
    (Had all my checks!)
    x

    ReplyDelete